Thursday, June 4, 2009

What about breastfeeding in public?

Most of the time the nursing mother is so discreet that no one realizes that she is actually feeding a baby. Now that our apparel has become casual and allows mothers to wear stretchy knit tops and pants, the shirt can be pulled up to allow the baby to latch while the baby covers the mother's midrif. A light blanket can be thrown over the shoulder to cover even more of the baby and mother. However. sometimes we hear of a situation where someone is very publicly feeding their baby. So the Kentucky Legislature has made it illegal to prohibit anyone from feeding their breastfed baby as long as it is a place where the mother and child would normally be admitted.

3 comments:

  1. It took some practice and an LLL meeting to gain complete confidence breastfeeding in public. I have found alot of the nursing shirts that are double layered to be to hot in the summer so a long (for post baby belly coverage) tight tank top with a shelf bra and a looser over tank to be perfect. I just pull down the under tank and pull up the over tank. Covers the belly and all. This also works great under a regular shirt. No need for special nursing clothing if you dont want. Anyway, all the practice at home was worth it! I now enjoy time out and about with my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never too shy about public breastfeeding, thanks to La Leche League! I surrounded myself with people who found breastfeeding to be "normal" and "accepted" and it never occured to me that anyone would have a problem with it until I'd been doing it a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nursing in summer is definitely different than nursing in winter when you have on several layers.. However, I don't think anyone has ever noticed me nursing in public. LLL makes great tanks that are supportive and have great coverage. They are also great for layering. They are a bit pricey, but well worth the money!

    ReplyDelete